NextDecade is also exploring options to address the remaining emissions to enable Rio Grande LNG to achieve carbon neutrality.
Throughout the course of NextDecade’s pre-FID development activities, and intensively in recent months, the company has evaluated multiple technical solutions to ascertain the commercial viability of dramatically reducing CO2e emissions at Rio Grande LNG.
Based on these evaluations, NextDecade has determined that carbon capture and storage (CCS) is the most feasible technical solution for Rio Grande LNG. The company believes that the addition of proven CCS technology in conjunction with its proprietary processes could reduce the CO2e emissions of its Rio Grande LNG facility by approximately 90%. While NextDecade advances its work in this area, the company is also exploring options to address the remaining (approximately 10%) CO2e emissions.
“Natural gas has a critical role to play in the global energy transition to a low-carbon economy, ensuring the security of energy supplies and preserving high quality jobs in the United States and around the world,” said Matt Schatzman, NextDecade’s Chairman and CEO. “Our work to date confirms that reliable, competitively priced LNG and responsible environmental stewardship are not mutually exclusive. A solution that promises both is indeed eminently feasible with the thoughtful use of existing technologies and the application of our proprietary processes.”
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/the-environment/08102020/nextdecade-aiming-for-carbon-neutrality-at-rio-grande-lng/
You might also like
thyssenkrupp Uhde has secured a basic engineering package (BEP) and FEED package for the establishment of a biopolymer plant on the Arabian Peninsula.