CITGO Corpus Christi refinery receives 2019 EPA award
Published by Pippa Luck,
CITGO Petroleum Corp. has announced that its Corpus Christi refinery has received the 2019 ENERGY STAR® certification, awarded by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The ENERGY STAR award recognises businesses for energy performance and for reflecting the compatibility of improving the environment while enhancing the corporate bottom line.
The Corpus Christi refinery is one of two petroleum refineries in the state of Texas, US, recognised with the ENERGY STAR in 2019, and one of 12 refineries across the country to earn the award.
Jim Cristman, Vice President and General Manager of the Corpus Christi refinery, said: “This recognition highlights the commitment and persistence of all of our employees to produce our products safely, reliably, and with respect to our environment and the community in which we work and live.”
Carlos Jordá, Chief Executive Officer of CITGO Petroleum Corp., said: “CITGO is dedicated to operating our business safely and serving as good guardians of our natural resources.”
The Corpus Christi refinery has applied multiple programmes and improvements to achieve high efficiency, contributing to its ENERGY STAR recognition. These include:
- Implementing a ‘steam team’ which has helped the refinery earn two 'Save Energy Now' awards from the US Department of Energy.
- Installing new flare gas recovery units and higher efficiency burners in a majority of heaters.
- Incorporating real time monitoring programmes to ensure energy efficiencies of every unit in the refinery.
- Performing a successful heater convection section cleaning with a robotic cleaning device, allowing heaters to regain original design efficiency.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive energy management plan.
ENERGY STAR eligibility requires that refineries achieve good quartile energy performance according the Solomon Associates Energy Intensity Index (Solomon-EII). Eligible plants then must apply for certification by undergoing a third-party environmental screening and issuing a statement of energy performance from Solomon Associates verified by a certified professional engineer.
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/refining/29102020/citgo-corpus-christi-refinery-receives-2019-epa-award/
You might also like
Technip Energies inks cooperation agreement with Congo’s Ministry of Hydrocarbons
Congo’s Ministry of Hydrocarbons has signed a cooperation agreement with Technip Energies that will see the parties expand cooperation in the fields of offshore and onshore energy developments.