Skip to main content

Chevron Phillips Chemical and Qatar Petroleum to develop new US petrochemical plant

Published by
Hydrocarbon Engineering,


Chevron Phillips Chemical Company and Qatar Petroleum have announced that they have signed an agreement to jointly pursue the development of a new petrochemical plant in the Gulf Coast region of the US. The US Gulf Coast II Petrochemical Project (USGC II) will include a 2 million tpy ethylene cracker and two 1 million tpy high-density polyethylene units.

The signing ceremony, hosted at the White House and witnessed by President Donald Trump and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Amir of the State of Qatar, included Chevron Phillips Chemical President and CEO Mark Lashier and Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, Qatar’s Minister of State for Energy Affairs, and the President and CEO of Qatar Petroleum. Chevron Corp. Chairman and CEO Michael Wirth and Phillips 66 Chairman and CEO Greg Garland also attended the ceremony.

Chevron Phillips Chemical will be the majority owner with a 51% share and Qatar Petroleum will own the remaining 49% of the project. Chevron Phillips Chemical would provide project management and oversight and be responsible for the operation and management of the facility. The preliminary cost of USGC II is approximately US$8 billion. Chevron Phillips Chemical and Qatar Petroleum expect a final investment decision (FID) no later than 2021, followed by full funding and the award of engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, with targeted start-up of the new facility in 2024.

At peak construction, USGC II would support an estimated 9000 construction jobs and, once operational, approximately 600 full time positions. The site’s location would be in the Gulf Coast region, where there is direct access to the significant shale natural gas liquid reserves of the Permian Basin.

Al-Kaabi said, “We are very pleased to sign this agreement, which is the second of its kind in as many weeks, with our trusted partner, Chevron Phillips Chemical, to further cement the strong partnership between our two companies and to complement Qatar Petroleum’s international portfolio in the US, which is a core growth area for us as we believe it has great prospects and growth opportunities.”

“Qatar Petroleum is already a terrific partner of Chevron Phillips Chemical on petrochemical plants in Qatar and we look forward to expanding our relationship in the US as we jointly seek to develop a new petrochemical facility along the US Gulf Coast,” said Lashier. “Qatar Petroleum’s financial strength, its commitment to safety as a core value and shared belief in our strategy to build facilities located close to competitive feedstocks make this an ideal relationship.”

In June 2019, Chevron Phillips Chemical and Qatar Petroleum announced a joint venture to pursue a world-scale petrochemical plant in Qatar at the Ras Laffan Industrial City. The companies currently operate Qatar Chemical Company and Qatar Chemical Company II, as well as the Ras Laffan Olefins Company. These are some of the safest and most successful assets in Chevron Phillips Chemical’s global portfolio.

Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/petrochemicals/10072019/chevron-phillips-chemical-and-qatar-petroleum-to-develop-new-us-petrochemical-plant/

You might also like

Catalysts 2019

Catalysts 2019

Catalysts 2019 is an online conference for professionals in the downstream sector. Since this is a completely virtual conference, you can join us from anywhere in the world, absolutely free. Register for free today »

 
 
 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):