Air Products unveils plan for hydrogen complex
Published by Callum O'Reilly,
Air Products and its subsidiary Air Products Canada Ltd, in conjunction with the Government of Canada and the Province of Alberta, have announced a multi-billion dollar plan to build a landmark new net-zero hydrogen energy complex in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Air Products began work in 2018 on the core of this world-scale energy complex, which will begin with a transformative CA$1.3 billion net-zero hydrogen production and liquefaction facility expected onstream in 2024. This project has been approved by Air Products' Board of Directors, subject to final completion of the agreements contemplated in signed Memorandums of Understanding between Air Products and Canadian authorities, and with appropriate permit approvals. This development is consistent with Air Products' growth strategy of executing global megaprojects that enable a transition to a cleaner, more sustainable energy future.
The project relies on an innovative combination of well-established technologies to jump-start an ambitious transition to carbon neutrality. It will take advantage of Canada's abundant and low-cost natural resources, extensive infrastructure, highly skilled workforce, and innovative spirit to be a model for other jurisdictions around the globe.
Seifi Ghasemi, Air Products' Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, said: "Sustainability is our pathway to growth and central to Air Products' business every day around the world. By being a first mover and investing in this innovative landmark project, we are paving the way for hydrogen from Edmonton to meet industrial and transportation needs throughout western Canada. Our highly integrated project will be a model for net-zero atmospheric gas, hydrogen and power production consistent with our announced growth platforms."
Rachel Smith, Air Products Canada Vice President, said: "We fully intend to earn that same reputation with our new facility construction and operations while also creating well-paying jobs in the Edmonton region. By design, the new complex will utilize Alberta's natural gas resources to produce net-zero hydrogen, reducing the environmental footprint of the refining sector and facilitating future growth in the hydrogen economy in Edmonton and the Alberta Industrial Heartland."
Air Products will deploy advanced hydrogen technology and innovative design to deliver net-zero emissions. The new facility will capture over 95% of the carbon dioxide (CO2) from the feedstock natural gas and store it safely back underground. Hydrogen-fuelled electricity will offset the remaining 5% of emissions. The clean energy complex will help refining and petrochemical customers served by the Air Products Heartland Hydrogen Pipeline to reduce their carbon intensity. The complex also marks a first in the wider use of hydrogen in Alberta, enabling the production of liquid hydrogen to be an emissions-free fuel in the transportation sector, and to generate clean electricity. This is expected to have a positive impact in lowering Alberta's carbon emissions.
Air Products is also considering further investments in both existing and new hydrogen facilities in Alberta and across Canada, helping customers improve their sustainability performance while bolstering the hydrogen economy and Canada's energy transition. The Edmonton project site was strategically selected to permit expansion of the energy complex, including replication of net-zero hydrogen production assets to meet growing demand. Air Products' existing Heartland Hydrogen Pipeline network was designed for growth and has the capability to more than triple current volumes.
Air Products' hydrogen business in Alberta is envisioned to reach over 1500 tpd of hydrogen production and achieve greater than 3 million tpy of CO2 capture.
The hydrogen liquefaction facility will play a critical role in the developing hydrogen economy across Western Canada. Hydrogen will help to meet society's need for sustainable transportation. Hydrogen is seen as having a substantial technological advantage over battery electric vehicles in heavy-duty applications due to those vehicles' duty-cycles, especially in Canada's extreme climate conditions.
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/clean-fuels/11062021/air-products-unveils-plan-for-hydrogen-complex/
You might also like
EIA: monthly US propane exports in March 2023 reach a record high
US propane exports reached a record 1.7 million bpd in March 2023. Propane is consumed globally for space heating, and is used as a petrochemical feedstock.