Chart Industries Inc. has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Ballard Power Systems, a global leader in fuel cell power, to jointly develop integrated system solutions that include a fuel cell engine with onboard liquid hydrogen (LH2) storage and vaporisation for the transportation industry, with a focus on heavy-duty applications including buses, trucks, rail and marine vessels.
Both Ballard and Chart have provided hydrogen solutions and equipment to industry for multiple decades, including a very rapid increase in sales activity in 2020. This collaboration is targeted to enable accelerated adoption of hydrogen in heavy-duty transport applications requiring long range, rapid refuelling and low total cost of ownership of the vehicle.
Liquid hydrogen is well-suited for the transportation industry as its higher density, lower pressure, and ease of filling via liquid hydrogen pump contribute to the ability for larger mobile equipment to travel longer distances similar to what is possible today with diesel fuel. As part of the development agreement, Chart will provide:
- Liquid hydrogen expertise from liquefaction plant to storage, fuelling and on-board tanks.
- Extensive truck LNG tank experience.
- An existing liquid hydrogen onboard vehicle tank prototype design.
- Fuel to vehicle connection / interface experience.
- LH2 test laboratory in Minnesota, US.
Ballard will provide:
- Proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell technology expertise.
- PEM fuel cell stacks, modules and systems.
- Fuel cell mobility experience with over 70m km of vehicle operation.
- Market access to System Integrators and vehicle original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).
- Fuel cell testing facilities in British Columbia (Canada) and Denmark.
“Given both of our companies’ extensive experience in the Class 8 long haul truck, bus, rail and marine areas of transportation as well as hydrogen, this combination of expertise will create a unique, differentiated and cost effective solution for transportation customers as the industry moves to cleaner power,” stated Jill Evanko, Chart’s CEO and President.
Randy MacEwen, Ballard President and CEO added, “Chart Industries is a strong partner for development of integrated and optimised hydrogen solutions that include storage of liquid hydrogen for our fuel cell engines. Together with Chart, we intend to help simplify customers’ buying decisions, regardless of the specific Heavy-Duty Motive application being addressed.”
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/clean-fuels/11022021/chart-and-ballard-sign-mou/
You might also like
NEXTCHEM, through its subsidiary MyRechemical, has been selected by DG Fuels to provide the process design package in relation to a sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) facility.