CO2 Solutions Inc. (CO2 Solutions or the company), a leader in the field of enzyme-enabled carbon capture technology, has announced the verified results of its demonstration project at Salaberry-de-Valleyfield (Valleyfield), near Montreal, Québec.
Further to the company's press release of 10 November 2015, the demonstration project in Valleyfield operated successfully for a total of more than 2500 hours. Among the highlights noted:
- The company's proprietary enzyme, 1T1, performed in a stable manner.
- No toxic waste products were generated.
- Solvent consumption was negligible.
- The demonstration unit was, for a large part, operated autonomously (i.e. did not require a dedicated operator).
- The technology produced CO2 suitable for food, beverages and other reuse applications.
- The use of low-grade, nil value heat for solvent regeneration at low-temperature was accomplished, demonstrating this innovative method of operating cost savings.
CO2 Solutions contracted with Tetra Tech, Inc., a leading international engineering firm, for an independent review of the project data related to the mass and energy balances. This review allowed the company to confirm core process capture costs for a 1250 tpd scale of US$28/t, in line with earlier published estimates. This cost is below the proposed Alberta carbon tax and below the US Department of Energy's target for new carbon capture processes. In this regard, to the knowledge of the company, its technology has achieved the lowest demonstrated cost in the industry for a post-combustion carbon capture application, by a significant margin.
"The completion of the project and the independent engineering review confirm the low cost and environmentally sustainable nature of our technology, both of which are key differentiators in our industry" said Evan Price, President and CEO of CO2 Solutions. "We have now proven the robustness and operability of our technology in a real life, industrial scale setting, which puts applications for carbon mitigation and beneficial reuse of CO2 squarely in our sights. These results will now be used to move forward prospective customer and partner opportunities currently under discussion."CO2 Solutions intends to present full results of its demonstration project at upcoming international conferences in the carbon capture field.
Adapted from press release by Francesca Brindle
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/the-environment/26012016/co2-solutions-finishes-carbon-capture-demonstration-testing-low-cost-robust-technology-2269/