UOP LLC, a Honeywell company has announced that its process technology, catalysts and proprietary equipment will from the basis for the largest refinery in Africa, reducing Nigeria’s dependence on imported fuels and petrochemicals. Dangote Oil Refining Company selected UOP technology for a world scale integrated refinery and petrochemical plant to be built in Lekki, near the capital of Lagos in southwestern Nigeria.
Pete Piotrowski, Senior VP and General Manager, UOP’s Process, Technology and Equipment business said, “UOP has been designing state of the art refineries and petrochemical plants for more than a century, so we are well equipped to help Nigeria develop a massive new installation to meet its domestic needs. This project will enable Dangote to improve Nigeria’s oil refining capabilities, reduce the country’s dependence on imports, and work to revive and transform the Nigerian economy.”
In addition to processing crude oil to produce high quality gasoline, diesel and jet fuel that meet Euro V specifications for reduced emissions, the new facility will produce world scale quantities of polypropylene, a key petrochemical used in plastics and packaging.
UOP technologies to be used
- The UOP Reside FCC process to produce transportation fuels from crude oil. It will also supply propylene, which will be used as a feedstock for polypropylene.
- CRR Platforming process to produce high octane gasoline blending components.
- The Unicracking process to produce diesel.
- The Penex process to produce high octane gasoline.
- The CDU design, which will be provided by UOP’s alliance partner, Process Consulting Services.
In addition to technology licensing and design services, the UOP organisation is working with Dangote Oil Refining Company to provide catalysts, adsorbents and proprietary equipment for the project.
Edited from press release by Claira Lloyd
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/refining/14052015/uop-for-africa/