Hunt Valve, a fluid power engineering company specialising in severe-duty valves and components, has been selected as a Plant Engineering Product of the Year finalist for 2016. Among eight finalists in the fluid handling category, Hunt Valve’s proportional poppet descale valve was chosen for its ability to control water hammer, operate for an extended service life and simplify maintenance.
“For nearly 30 years, Plant Engineering’s readers have been selecting innovative products that help them work smarter, safer and more efficiently,” explained Brad Sterner, Hunt Valve’s president and CEO. “We’re thrilled that our proportional poppet valve is being recognised for its ability to deliver the costs savings and performance metrics needed to compete in today’s industrial manufacturing market.”
Hunt Valve's proportional poppet descale valves help plant and maintenance engineers:
- Fight water hammer: The valve incorporates electromechanical actuation to precisely control the metering poppet’s speed and position, which eliminates water hammer and provides maintenance-free, reliable operation in the dirtiest systems. Utilising a variable stroke profile enables one valve to perform multiple operations, such as descale header control and header prefill functions.
- By replacing all fast-closing poppet valves with the proportional poppet design and eliminating water hammer, plant managers can save up to US$250 000/y in replacement costs for damaged descale headers/pipes, reducing annual plant operating costs by as much as 50% and decreasing unexpected downtime.
- Extend service life: To manage the high velocity fluid flow, the valve has ceramic seating surfaces that prevent wear. The full ceramic seat is up to five times more durable than conventional seat materials (e.g., heat-treated stainless steel), which maximises the valve’s service life. No other industrial valve manufacturer offers this level of ceramic wear protection.
- Simplify maintenance: The valve’s electromechanical linear actuator avoids the maintenance and reliability issues commonly associated with all types of media-actuated valves. Unlike traditional poppet valves that use dirty descale water as a hydraulic media to shift the main valve, the poppet valve’s actuator is not a wetted part and is completely isolated from the descale water. Since it uses an electrical actuator, it eliminates the moisture/contamination problems associated with pneumatic actuation.
- Avoid warranty issues: This valve helps original equipment manufacturer (OEM) builders deliver superior customer satisfaction and avoid warranty issues after installation/startup. Not only are valve failures covered during the extended timeframe but the extended warranty benefits are also passed along to the OEM’s customer. Aftermarket users enjoy a significantly longer service life and reduced maintenance costs.
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/product-news/05122016/hunt-valve-named-plant-engineering-product-of-the-year-finalist/