Skip to main content

Downstream maintenance and construction

Hydrocarbon Engineering,


Asia

India’s Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas has announced that the country is expecting refining capacity to increase by approximately 22% by 2013. The Orissa and Punjab refineries are currently being commissioned and will produce 15 million tpy and 9 million tpy respectively. Once completed, India’s refining capacity will stand at 238 million tpy.

Europe

There are plans to increase the capacity of the Naftan refinery, Belarus. A new crude distillation unit is to be added to the plant and will increase capacity by 12% to 240 000 bpd. The unit is estimated to cost approximately US$ 800 million.

OAO Lukoil is building a new fluid catalytic cracker at its Nizhny Novgorod refinery, Russia. This unit will be exactly the same as the one installed and brought online last year. The new cracker will increase the capacity of the facility by 40 000 bpd.

Latin America

Finance terms have been agreed between China and Costa Rica for the funding of a refinery revamp. The China Development Bank will give Recope a loan of US$ 900 million towards the costs which currently stand at US$ 1.24 billion. The rest of the money required will be provided by Recope and CNPC. This is Costa Rica’s only refinery and currently has a processing capacity of 25 000 bpd.

Cuba’s Camilo Cienfuegos refinery has now been taken completely offline in anticipation of the maintenance work it will undergo in 2012. As part of the maintenance program, pipelines, storage tanks and safety valves will be repaired. The refinery was last taken offline for major repair works in 2007.

Petroperu are seeking US$ 1.7 billion to double processing capacity at its main Peru based refinery. The financing is likely to be an 80% loan from the French bank Societe Generale and the other 20% will be provided by Petroperu themselves. The Talara refinery is the plant in question.

Venezuela has announced plans in increase its refining and storage presence in the Caribbean. The Venezuelan Oil Minister, Rafael Ramirez, has voiced plans to increase the country’s storage capacity in the Caribbean to 1.17 million bpd and increase the refining capacity to 548 000 bpd, four times more than the current capacity.

Middle East

Talks are currently going on between Total and Qatar Petroleum to expand the Laffan refinery. The facility is majority owned by Qatar Petroleum (51%) and Total only own 10%. Total want the expansion to be included in the second phase of the refinery, which is to commence next year.

Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/gas-processing/06122011/downstream_maintenance_and_construction11/


 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):