Topsoe, a global leader in carbon emission reduction technologies, will deliver technology to HIF Global’s (HIF) planned e-fuels facility in Texas, US. The plant will produce carbon-neutral fuel – enough to decarbonise over 400 000 vehicles annually.
e-fuels are produced by combining green hydrogen made from renewable power and recycled carbon dioxide (CO2). HIF's facility in Texas will help remove 2 million tpy of CO2 from the air.
Topsoe delivers basic engineering and license for methanol synthesis and TIGASTM gasoline synthesis technologies. Later in the project, Topsoe’s scope will be extended to supply methanol reactors and catalysts.
Roeland Baan, CEO at Topsoe, said: “We are proud that HIF Global has selected our technology for this truly innovative project which will contribute to decarbonising US transportation. This is our first involvement in a commercial-scale Power-to-X facility producing gasoline. Our technology will be used to directly convert renewable hydrogen and CO2 into methanol, which is further converted into plug-and-play gasoline. We are excited to showcase our capabilities in this field and apply the Topsoe methanol and TIGASTM technology for e-fuels.”
The gasoline synthesis from methanol has been commercially proven in a 15 000 bpd plant in Turkmenistan since 2019.
Renato Pereira, CEO at HIF USA, said: “We look forward to partnering with Topsoe and utilising its state-of-the-art technology within our Matagorda County facility. Carbon-neutral e-fuels represent the energy sector’s next frontier, enabling renewable resources to fuel our mobile economy.”
About HIF's e-fuels plant
- The plant will be built in Matagorda County in Texas, US.
- It will produce 200 million gal./yr of a carbon-neutral gasoline that can be used in today´s cars and gas stations with no modifications required.
- The power requirement for the plant will be 2 GW, where 90% is consumed by electrolysers for the green hydrogen production process.
- The e-gasoline produced will meet the strict California specifications for conventional gasoline.
- Start of construction is expected by 2023, and first production by 2026.
Read the article online at: https://www.hydrocarbonengineering.com/clean-fuels/27092022/hif-global-and-topsoe-enter-into-clean-fuels-partnership/